Monday, November 3, 2008

Tea ( A lousy post by me )

Source: Wikipedia
Tea contains catechins, a type of antioxidant. In a fresh tea leaf, Catechins can be up to 30% of the dry weight. Catechins are highest in concentration in white and green teas, while black tea has substantially fewer due to its oxidative preparation. Tea also contains small amounts of theobromine (a myocardial stimulant as well as a vasodilator, it increases heartbeat, yet it also dilates blood vessels, causing a reduced blood pressure) and theophylline.

Tea has almost no carbohydrates, fat, or protein.

Tea leaves contain more than 700 chemicals, among which the compounds closely related to human health are flavanoides, amino acids, vitamins (C, E and K), caffeine and polysaccharides. Moreover, tea drinking has recently proven to be associated with cell-mediated immune function of the human body. Tea plays an important role in improving beneficial intestinal microflora, as well as providing immunity against intestinal disorders and in protecting cell membranes from oxidative damage. It also prevents dental caries due to the presence of fluorine. The role of tea is well established in normalizing blood pressure, lipid depressing activity, prevention of coronary heart diseases and diabetes by reducing the blood-glucose activity.

My favourite tea has got to be Earl Grey ( finish it already... will buy more soon :P). Why? Well, I like its distinct and fragrant smell. Quite different from other types of tea. Some info about it: Earl Grey tea is a tea blend with a distinctive flavour and aroma derived from the addition of oil extracted from the rind of the bergamot orange, a fragrant citrus fruit. The Earl Grey blend is named after the 2nd Earl Grey, British Prime Minister in the 1830s, who reputedly received a gift, probably a diplomatic perquisite, of tea flavoured with bergamot oil, taken from bergamot, a citrus fruit typical of southern Italy. However, Earl Grey was originated from China. It has a fragrant and citrusy aroma. Best served plain or with milk :P
The worst tea to me is probably Court Chamomile tea that I had at Coffee and Friends in Tanjung Aru Plaze. No, I'm not critising the cafe. The ambience is quite cosy and relaxing. Quite a nice place to relax and chit-chat with your friends in a lazy afternoon. I thought of trying a new type of tea. I looked at the menu and since I haven't tried Chamomile Tea before, I ordered a cup. My God, when people told you Chamomile is yucky-tasting, better believe it. 'Coz it smells like apple with some hint of egg smell and lots of other fragrance I can't even describe! I kept adding and eventually emptied the whole small pot of honey provided to alter its taste, so I wouldn't puke. In the end, it taste like the worst cup of honey I've ever tasted. It's awful! I would never drink another cup again.

2 comments:

Eddie said...

700 chemicals??? Oh my...I should start drinking tea now ;)

Crazygtown31 said...

ya but not too much, later u'll get insomnia and ur legs will become weak.