Let's talk about my dietary habituals in Aust for a change. I was gonna blog about my essay again, but that's too boring.
As we all know, there's three important meals for us everyday, not in any particular order: breakfast, lunch and dinner. Or in my case: lunch, dinner and breakfast. Breakfast is nonsense to me. I don't acknowledge them; I skip them all the time.
My daily breakfast is of equivalent to two to three ounces of chocolate milk, a few bites of raisin bread and a small chocolate bar (if I'm really hungry). Sometimes if I'm awake much earlier, I would make myself tuna sandwich. But mostly I would rather use my breakfast time to sleep, as a way to revive my sleepy eyes after playing games till late night the previous night.
Lunch... Hmm... Sometimes I would buy meals from refractory. It's usually curry chicken rice or nasi lemak, as I can't cook any of these. But I limit them to maximum thrice a week. The meals here are expensive and not worth the money. The so-called chicken rice looks like a preposterous joke compared to the authentic Singaporean Chicken Rice. I dunno why all the Westerners like them so much. Hello, fly to Malaysia (sounds like I'm promoting Malaysian tourism) or any other Asian country to savour the real taste, not these resentful replicates. A normal portion of nasi lemak can cause you more than RM20. It's insane! Can you imagine eating three plates of them in one week for RM 70+? I would rather have fast foods and burgers and fries. Oh ya, the fast food here is good and about the same price as that of Malaysia.
Sometimes I would bring some tuna sandwich or my homemade (lousy version) salmon sushi rice. Why do I take the trouble? I enjoy preparing my own meal and I'm just too impatient to queue up in the cafeteria. Occasionally I would just come back to my hostel and fix myself something to eat, which is usually unhealthy. Instant pizza, instant noodle, instant soup, instant porridge... Instant is the big word here.
Dinner is a favourable occasion when I have the time to cook, but they usually follow a particular non-written timetable, odd enough to mention. Monday: sushi rice, Tuesday: Rice + Vege + Meat, Wednesday: Salad, Thursday: Lamb Chop/ Steak, Friday: Instant Dinner, Saturday: Tom Yam and Sunday: Dine-out. Ok, maybe this is an inflexible timetable. Nevertheless, I can ensure you I have sushi rice on Mondays and steaks of any kind on Thursday.
Oh ya, can you believe that I've never eaten a slurp of spaghetti of any kind in Perth? Pasta and sauce are everywhere in the supermarkets. Yet I have never cook them. Not because I dunno how to, the inaccessibility of seafood is why. My favourite spaghetti is the Spaghetti Marina or Alio, but let's face it it's hard to buy seafood here (supermarket's seem like they've been there for quite some time) and squid is always missing.
How bout tea breaks? Well, if I'm lucky to have a free afternoon (i.e. when I don't have labs, which would be Monday and Thursday afternoons), I would make myself a cup of English breakfast tea and some chocolate chip cookies. Or sometimes it's a can of Coke (there's a vending machine just outside my flat door) with 100g of potato chips and the complementary capsicum dip. Haha...
And now, for one can of Cola, fresh from vending machine to quench my thirst. Bye bye!
Thursday, April 23, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment